Monday, November 16, 2020

The Horses Part 2

For years I have waited for just the right foal to keep for myself. I always wanted a filly, but I didn't get to keep Josie, and Stella met an untimely death by accident. I kept thinking Beamer and Belle would have another filly, but Belle seems to like having horse colts. Of her 10 foals to date only 2 have been fillies!
This year when Belle foaled out a really nice black colt, I decided to keep him; we just seemed to click. He has been so easy to train and has such a sweet personality. I named him Midnight Moondance. He is homozygous black and 5 panel negative. If all goes well in the next couple of years he will get to remain a stallion; he certainly seems to have the right disposition, conformation and attractiveness ; now it will depend on how well his training goes and if I can promote him in the show ring. 



Day 1

3 weeks old

3 months

6 months

He is weaned, trailer loads, stands tied, is good to trim his feet, has been started on sacking out, and is excellent to pony on the trails. He's a well mannered youngster too. What's not to love!

I was doing some research on photos in Beamer's pedigree, as I was curious as to why all the sons of the Beamer /Belle cross are so big. Belle is 14.3hh and Beamer is 14.2. Belle's mama was just under 15.2. All the full brothers to Moondance are very close to 16 hands and are good substantial bodied horses. 
This may be why they look like they do:


This is Isle Breeze, Beamers maternal grandsire. He was a 15.3 hh 1967 stallion. And darned if Moondance doesn't look just like him!



1 comment:

aurora said...

Moondance is a special horse and will have a bright future with your guidance and care. He does resemble Isle Breeze!